Regional CCC Heritage Organization FormedAn organization that preserves the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps has been established in the region, known as the CCC Legacy Foundation/Lumber Heritage Region Chapter. Potter is one of 15 counties covered by the new chapter, recognizing the accomplishments of 86 CCC camps. More information is available by calling 814-486-0213 or sending an email to Mike Wennin at firstname.lastname@example.org
America was in the middle of the Great Depression when the Civilian Conservation Corps was born. President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorized the recruitment of thousands of unemployed young men. Susquehannock State Forest had 10 camps, eight of which were in Potter County. The forest had a new workforce of young men who built roads and primitive bridges, planted trees, fought fires and inventoried the forest. As work progressed and projects were completed, some camps were closed or relocated. Often, Corps members would move from camp to camp.
Remnants are easy to find. The pavilion at Cherry Springs State Park was built by the CCC. In fact, much of the park was created by S-136 (Cherry Springs) and S-88 (Lyman Run), two of the camps in Potter County. By 1940, more than 160,000 young men had participated in CCC activities in Pennsylvania, 80 percent of them from urban areas. The United States’ entry into World War II spelled the end of the CCC. By that time, the Corps members had planted nearly 50 million trees in Pennsylvania and left a legacy for past, present and future generations to enjoy.