J&J Auto Coudersport

J&J Auto Coudersport

J&J Auto Coudersport

J&J Auto Coudersport

Gleason Motors

Old Schoolhouse Village Shoppes

Do You Know: You can buy this marquee ad on Solomon's words for the wise for your business or event for only $10. per day! It's just one of the low cost advertising options available. Your ad is viewed 20,000 to 50,000 times every day. Email us for information on other ad locations.

Auction & Yard Sale Page

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

So Long Moustache you will be missed!!!

So Long Moustache you will be missed!!!

Today my family and I will do one of the hardest things in life to do. Lay to rest Moustache. My mom's husband, our dad, an uncle, and a friend. Its a end of a era. A Potter county legend gone. I think most people will agree there will never be another.

Moustache is what we called him not dad or John. 

He knew so many people and touched the lives of so many with genuine kindness. He was loud had a tough exterior and the biggest heart. He taught a lot of us how to hunt, what it meant to do a hard days work, but, most of all he taught us to be kind. He would always say hi to everyone. If a neighbor ever needed help, he was always ready to lend a hand. 

I don't think there was a kid in Austin that didn't know him. The kids in town would wear red bandanas just like him. They called them mousta's after him. There were a few that would even peel and eat raw garlic just like he did. 

When I hear people talk about him, it makes him seem larger then life. He was a man that stuck by his word. A friend that you wanted to have. We would have lamb roasts at our camp in Odin, he never asked for money and never told anyone they couldn't come. 

He enjoyed everyone's company. He lived his life at his own pace and lived it to the fullest. He was a happy man and always had a big smile. 

I don't know what heavens like but, I think his will be filled with all his buddies at some camp that looks just like Potter county. So the next time you hear thunder its probably him, Turk, the Gabersecks and all the guys that passed away from camp Big Horn enjoying a gurgle and tellin' stories. 

So Long Moustache you will be missed!!! But we wont ever forget you.  

Dana

7 comments :

Anonymous said...


Nice tribute . He must have been a good man .

Anonymous said...

A Great man he was !!! I got to work with him for a summer and got to partake in a few "Gurgles" with him and some of the others !! He will never be forgotten !! Rest well Moustach !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice way to say good bye. I didn't know him but may he rest in peace. I pray for his family. May God help to heal your broken hearts.

Anonymous said...

Dana, Very well said. I did not know him personally but I have heard many stories about him this last week. I am tremendously sorry for the void his passing will leave in the lives of all who knew him, and even sadder that I never had the opportunity to know such a wonderful man. As my opportunity to become a "step" parent is fast approaching, you have given me the confidence that I can matter in a childs life. My deepest sympathy to all of you.

Babs said...

Dana~
You & Pat & Nikki had a "one-of-kind" man for a stepfather; Your mom had a very, very special guy for a husband. I lived across the street from you guys & his booming voice would wake me in the mornings. It would bring a smile to my face just hearing him AND his laugh. Just thinking of him brings a smile to my face after all these years. He was such a wonderful man---may you & your family have alot of special memories in your hearts. I will miss him.

Cartee Streeter said...

You wrote a great letter about a terrific man -- sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Brother I could not have said this better and today when I heard you read this all I could do was cry. We all said beautiful things about our wonderful dad and Susie did the best service I have ever heard in my lifetime. We miss him so much but he gave us so much to give to others-kindness, laughter and staying young at heart. R.I.P. Dad "Moustache" -he never liked to say goodbye and in his words, as I said today, "So long Dad its been a heck of a ride, I'll see you on the other side when it is my time" Nikki