Stoltz Of Coudersport


Solomon's Auction & Yard Sale Page

Do You Know: You can buy this marquee ad on Solomon's words for the wise for your business or event for only $10. per day! It's just one of the low cost advertising options available. Your ad is viewed 30,000 to 50,000 times every day. Email us for information on other ad locations.

Friday, August 12, 2016

Think About It

Playing The Hand You’re Dealt
by Pastor B.J. Knefley

Venturing into the unknown means playing the hand you’re dealt. Life is life. You usually can’t change it, only gingerly walk through it. Such was my sailing journey that I recently embarked on.

Where I normally sail is narrow and shallow. The largest waves are the ones that are caused by the powerboats that cruise by me. Not so in the Long Island Sound. My first day of sailing, 14 miles, was uneventful. In fact it was actually very relaxing except when I had to motor up the channel to get through the bridges that blocked my path. Unfortunately I was under prepared for the currents and tide that I was about to face. Having normally been accustom to using an electric trolling motor, I soon found out that was not going to be sufficient and I needed to do something quick. The tide and current weren’t waiting for me to get my act together. Between the pitching and rolling I was able to get a small gas outboard mounted and caught up to the group just as they were passing under one of the several bridges that had to be raised for our passage.

My trip back to my starting point a couple of days later proved to be a greater challenge then I had anticipated. Remember, I had already ventured out into the unknown when I started this adventure and being confronted with two-foot seas was not within my experience level. But what was I to do? I couldn’t change the conditions; I had to sail through them anyway. I had to play the hand that I was dealt and make the best of it. With light winds, pitching and rolling seas, my wife and I ventured forward. As you can imagine one of us got seasick and it wasn’t me, so my first mate was laying down in the forward berth and of little help.

My point in all of this; life happens while we’re making other plans. You have to deal with it and move forward. You’ll never get anywhere if you only play it safe. Playing the hand you’re dealt with can be risky and rewarding all in one. God calls us into the unknown. Will you go? Think about it.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

All so very true Bernie & you're so right, we make our choices, we than have to deal with them..