Potter County Outfitters

Potter County Outfitters

CIMINO AUTO PARTS

Solomon's Auction & Yard Sale Page

Do You Know: You can buy this marquee ad on Solomon's words for the wise for your business or event for only $10. per day! It's just one of the low cost advertising options available. Your ad is viewed 30,000 to 50,000 times every day. Email us for information on other ad locations.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Bill Pekarski: Day 92, Living life on my terms

Bill Pekarski

Day 92, Living life on my terms.

Have you ever been hungry for something very specific, but there is absolutely no way to get it? I have been salivating for a really good, fresh cheeseburger with real potato french fries. Now, not just any burger and fries mind you, but a juicy cheeseburger with real cut french fries from the basement at the Old Hickory.

Now realizing that sounds absolutely crazy and I am probably glorifying the food from there more than it deserves, but I just remember how good they tasted over 30 years ago.

The fries were never cut even and the skins were intact as they went into the grease to cook. When they brought your order to you a few fries would slide onto the table as the quantity was too much for the plate. Not to let them go to waste, the escapees were devoured first!

I don’t remember anything super special about the burgers, other than they were always juicy and thick; the way a burger should be! What is sold as burgers today at Mcdonalds, Sheetz, and even the Tastee Freeze start out so frozen and lifeless that they will never compare.

In fact, the only place I can remember that even came close in quality of burger was Ted and AJ’s place between town and the hospital.

Rick Long, or Ricko as he is most often referred, used all fresh ingredients to make his food as well. It was amazing to watch him put out so much food on a little flat top grill and prep area that was smaller than most kitchens.

One day my mother, my Aunt Charlene and I stopped at Ted and AJ’s for lunch. They were always talking about his spaghetti, which was one of his signature specials guaranteed to fill up the hungriest of customers. As for me, I am always on the hunt for a good burger.

I asked what the double decker burger was like and Ricko pointed to the clock on the wall. Located beside the clock was a rendering of a double cheeseburger stacked on a split bun with all of the veggies and it measured around 6 inches tall. Ricko said; “It looks like that when it is done.” I thought ok, it’s your regular double cheeseburger that flattens out to about 2-3 inches by the time it is done. I was wrong.

Ricko brought me over a sandwich that there was absolutely no way to fit it into my mouth all at once. It really did look just like the picture. Not only that, I watched him pull out an actual head of lettuce and a real tomato from his little refrigerator to cut into my toppings. Nothing was pre-sliced or prepared ahead of time. In fact, I could safely say it may have even been better than any burger I ever got from a basement restaurant on Main Street. Of course, having been so long since the Old Hickory closed it would not truly be a fair comparison.

Then as I peered over at the spaghetti and meatballs orders my mom and Aunt Charlene were trying to eat, it became evident that to go boxes were going to be needed. Ricko made fresh meatballs every morning and his sauce was absolutely fantastic. I could not believe the quality of food that was produced out of his little shack.

While I am thinking about homemade foods that are no longer available in Coudersport, I should also take some time to mention little ole’ Micki Goodwyn and Micki’s Diner on East 2nd Street.

To most people, her place was often referred to as the “greasy spoon.” That was not really a fair assessment as her place was just like walking into your own mother’s kitchen. Complete with all of the old men sipping coffee at the table in front every morning.

Many times, while you dined there, Micki herself would appear out of the kitchen and join you at your table. She worked very hard every day making all sorts of pastries and baked goods that were enjoyed by everyone. You had to get there early as she often sold out and she had to close early enough to go home and get ready to go out and play bingo that night. She also had to make time to stop at Boyd’s Corner Store and get her daily lottery numbers.

One time, since Micki knew I was a baker at Erways, she told me she had something special for me. I was just about finished with my biscuits and sausage gravy when she brought me out a steaming warm, freshly glazed, yeast raised donut. It was the size of the plate and smelled amazing. I broke off a piece and it absolutely melted in my mouth. I had never made a donut that tasted that good, and I probably never will. It would have made the staunchest Krispy Kreme fan second guess their allegiance.

That was Micki’s life, Bingo, lotto, and her diner. For that matter, Ted and AJ’s was pretty much all that Ricko did at that time as well. He was either at home, or he was at the restaurant, but that is what it takes to run businesses like these and it certainly isn’t for everyone.

That does it, now I am really hungry for food that there is no way I can get. Probably some of you are as well. Sure we can make these items at home, but they are never really quite the same. Maybe if we are lucky, the new owners of the Old Hickory will reopen the old restaurant/bar someday. I only hope they find out how the food was made way back when and try to follow the same recipes and techniques.

Today I am dedicating my progress to the great food places that are no longer around (for now, hopefully); the Old Hickory, Ted and AJ’s, and Micki’s Diner. Just a few more examples of things we enjoyed while growing up that kids today just don’t understand.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

I used to get all my homemade pies from for every holiday & I sure have missed not only her pies but both Mickey & her sister Onie, (sp)

Anonymous said...

You are certainly bringing back some great old memories. Miss the simpler times. Heimels meat market, The five and dime, McNary's, Gaberseck's garage, The Fun and Food Bar, "The Truckstop", etc. It makes me sad-kids should get to grow up like that. We were very lucky!

Anonymous said...

I too have had a craving, for a Skeeter Burger and french fries. I have yet to find a burger comparable. And Skeeter's was the place I was introduced to chicken wings. Geez, I miss Skeeter's!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear about the restaurants that have since been gone for yrs, I loved Mickeys Diner, Mickey had very good food. She & her sister Onie both were very hard workers, I ordered many baked goods from her & her pies were fabulous. I loved her milkshakes too. I remember going in for lunch during hunting season one yr & one of her workers never showed up, Mickey ask me if I'd help her out, "Sure thing Mickey" I worked the whole day & helped her clean up before closing that evening. Mickey would do anything to help anyone, thanks Bill for sharing these stories

Anonymous said...

Great story Bill :) I sure miss Grandma Mickey, she was quite the character <3 Georgia Goodwin

Penny said...

Mickeys Diner! I loved going there before school in the mornings for those fresh just made glazed donuts!! Wow this article sure did bring back memories! :)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of delicacies from the years gone by, what about those hoagies that the Beak made and marketed? Ed Easton and gang on the radio often extolled their virtues.