North Country Voices

North Country Voices

Stoltz Of Coudersport

CIMINO AUTO PARTS

Solomon's Auction & Yard Sale Page

Do You Know: You can buy this marquee ad on Solomon's words for the wise for your business or event for only $10. per day! It's just one of the low cost advertising options available. Your ad is viewed 30,000 to 50,000 times every day. Email us for information on other ad locations.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Scammers Refining The Grandparent Scam, Never Send Them Money!!

My mother received a call yesterday with the person saying he was her oldest grandson and needed her help but would have to call her back because he couldn't stay on the phone he was on. 

When they called back she wrote down all the information from them. 

He said he had gone to a funeral and then gone out with friends and had some wine, got into an accident and broke his nose and cut his lip and got a DUI. 

 Several times throughout the conversation they said please don't tell anyone, I'm so embarrassed. The person said "You know I just got back from a trip?" She did have a grandson who just got back from a trip out of the country. 

They asked her to go to Walmart and wire money to another Walmart. 

I answered the phone myself when they called back. 

The person stated they were from the Public Defender's Office and wanted to know if I had been able to obtain the funding for the bond. I told them I didn't know what they were talking about and they said, "Is this (my name?)". 

They originally talked with my mother so how did they knew my name. She hadn't given them this information. 

About an hour later they called my cell phone. All the previous calls were on her landline. 

They asked the same question about securing the bond money. I told them I didn't know what they were talking about and not to call again. Her landline immediately rang again and the same person said the same thing to me. 

 I told them not to call again or I was going to call the police. 

Don't know if you want to use this as a warning or if you have had something on recently regarding this type scam. It's a shame people can't use their intelligence and time to do something constructive.

Kathi

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Confidence men...

Watch "The Sting" one more time...

For them it's easy money.