xxx

xxx

E & G

Howard's Inc.

Do You Know: You can buy this marquee ad on Solomon's words for the wise for your business or event for only $10. per day! It's just one of the low cost advertising options available. Your ad is viewed 30,000 to 50,000 times every day. Email us for information on other ad locations.

Solomon's Auction & Yard Sale Page

CIMINO AUTO PARTS

Cole Memorial Dentistry

A Rabies Clinic will be held Saturday, August 26th from 1:00 to 4:00 pm at the Ulysses Tri-Town Firehall. All dogs, cats, and ferrets that are at least 12 weeks old can be vaccinated against the rabies virus. The first time a dog or cat receives a vaccine, it is good for one year. Each time after that, the vaccination is good for three years. Ferrets must be vaccinated annually. All animals attending the clinic must be on a leash or in a container. Cost is $5.00 per animal. The clinic is sponsored by Dr. Lindsay Schwartzmeyer of the Potter County Veterinary Clinic, LLC.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Phone Scammers Spoof Potter County Human Services Number

We answered a call yesterday supposedly from Potter County Human Services according to the caller ID.

It was Rachel who wanted to get us a lower rate on our credit card, a scam that has been perpetrated for at least a couple of years with a new twist of spoofing local numbers to get people to answer their calls.

Where in hell is the government when it comes to these illegal, deceptive calls. They seem to be able to pinpoint the origin of lots of calls when they want to. Who enforces these do not call laws. This has gone on too long. Lock them up and take their phones away.


14 comments :

Anonymous said...

The govt could care less about us.....

Anonymous said...

I agree about someone doing something. It is everyday 5x's a day by 5 different ones. 6:05 On A Sunday night, Really. Enough Is Enough.

Anonymous said...

we called the police station one day and they said can't do anything its out of there jurisdiction so I don't try and fall for anything if you called me telling me I need something NO I DON"T I will call you if I do!!

Anonymous said...

Even the calls for
charities are getting pushier (is that a word). It has gotten so I hang up on everyone (don't have caller Id). And cell phone if I don't know # I don't answer. When a parent is sick and you run to the phone and it is a scammer it really gets your goat.

Anonymous said...

We get these calls too from a local number. The first one I asked them what credit card they were calling about. Well they didn't answer in the time limit I gave them so I hung up on them.Well they called back the next day and I asked them how stupid they thought I was and if they thought I was going to be giving them my credit card number they were SOL. They hung up on me before I was finished talking.Usually I let the machine do the talking but they hang up on that too. but please if you don't know who these people are just hang up on them and they do have a foreign voice.DO NOT BE A VICTIM

Anonymous said...

Recently, we had a scam call and our caller ID showed that the call was from our own phone number with our name displayed. A relative recently had their phone number & name used for another scam call. The person who received the scam call notified our relative that their name and phone number showed up on their caller ID. Everyone needs to be cautious!

Anonymous said...

a lot of these calls originate from outside the US. They're sophisticated, but there's not much we can do to stop them. There's too many for one thing, and our government has far more important bad guys to go after. And we can't arrest foreigners in their own country.

Just be vigilant. Or give them a phony name and number and let them chase their tails.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing 7:41 pm for the info.....

Ronnie Reynolds said...

I have kind of the same happening to me . Using local numbers to try to cash in on my student loans . Why don't police do something about that instead of picking on kids.

Anonymous said...

We got one of these calls a couple days ago and it came up on the caller ID as a Ulysses number. When I answered it was a recording about credit card information and I immediately hung up.

Anonymous said...

Ronnie, you have a bone to pick with the police? What do you want them to do with these? As mentioned previously most if not all of these calls originate outside of the country. Just don't be stupid and give the callers what they want. Your personal information. If you have a number that you are being bothered by have it blocked BY YOUR PHONE COMPANY. The last place I would call is the local police. They are not setup to deal with this stuff. YOUR PHONE COMPANY IS..

Anonymous said...

If she says here name is Rachel hang up they have used the same name for many years and if you can't understand them also hang up and if you give them a hard
time they will swear at you and I thought that was an automatic cancel of your phone

Anonymous said...

unsolicited call are out of control i am getting 5 or six a day does anyone know ow to block them one today i left my phone and fell asleep it was connected to them for an hour and i have also blown whistle if it is not robo call if anyone can be of help let us all know

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe these scammers can steal the IRS's identity and there are no consequences. Seriously?