xxx

xxx

Street Machines

Stoltz

Like our Facebook page for more stories and news from all over.

Solomon's Auction & Yard Sale Page

Howard's Inc.

Do You Know: You can buy this marquee ad on Solomon's words for the wise for your business or event for only $10. per day! It's just one of the low cost advertising options available. Your ad is viewed 30,000 to 50,000 times every day. Email us for information on other ad locations.

CIMINO AUTO PARTS

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Bill Pekarski: Day 335, Living life on my terms

Bill Pekarski: added 4 new photos.

Day 335, Living life on my terms.

I went downtown today thinking I was going to get a Rueben for Beth and I at Mobile Fresca, but something apparently came up for Mr. Henning so he did not come to Coudy today. I drove around for a moment and a simple chalk sign on the side of a building caught my eye and made my taste buds start to tingle.

It was the outside special board and it read “Crab Cake Sandwich.” Beth and I both love crab cakes, but good ones are a little hard to come by in the north-central mountains of Pennsylvania. It inspired me to make a stop and check out the Crittenden Hotel Tap Room.

Now I have to be honest, it has been a few years since I have been in the Tap Room. Mostly because of my illness and I am not real comfortable in some places with my oxygen tank. I was surprised at the changes and new look. Well, at least it was a new look for me, and I was very impressed.

The massive tap system is loaded with specialty craft brews from all over and is a beautiful center piece to the new bar area. The d├ęcor still takes you back to the early 20th century and the staff is extremely friendly and hospitable.

I ordered the crab cake sandwiches to go and thought I would have a beer while I waited. Seeing that it was only three in the afternoon, I was the only customer there at the time. After a few minutes, some nice people who were passing through town stopped in for a drink. They were equally impressed with the tap system and ambiance of the establishment.

We struck up a conversation about the building and I told them a few of the historical things that I know; like how Eliot Ness was in that building writing what became the manuscript for the movie “The Untouchables” and how that story was sensationalized by Hollywood against his wishes. I mean hey, Eliot Ness never even fired a gun in performing his duties—never!

The gentleman asked; “So what is the claim to fame for this town?” Of course I mentioned Adelphia, seeing as that is a recognizable story throughout the country and the bartender was very knowledgeable about the “dark skies.” She explained about Cherry Springs and how this area provides the best dark sky views east of the Mississippi. Turns out, she and her husband offer dark sky tours on the weekends.

I went from there and told them more about Eliot Ness, the Austin Dam, and all of the shops around town. They were flabbergasted at all of the offerings and are now planning return trips to tour more of our area.

It is amazing to me just being out and about how we can enlighten tourists and people just passing through; even convincing them that it is worth a return trip in the future.

Well, it wasn’t long until Bryan Welsh had my order ready; aside from his new shop on Main Street, he still cooks at the Crittenden. I said my goodbyes and wished them a safe journey. It was nice to sit and extoll the wonders of our community to people.

Oh, and by the way, the crab cake sandwiches were scrumptious and the french fries were fresh cut and outstanding as well. Big thumbs up to the Tap Room and their lunch time offerings—I will be back!

Today I am dedicating my progress to the Crittenden Hotel and Tap Room. I am hoping to meet the owners one day soon and get some more information on their future development plans, and to get some more great food and drink.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

If it was a Friday the mobile food cart is one of two places empiron or behind the big building next to md

Anonymous said...

Too late. He already got crab cake sandwiches

Anonymous said...

How is your progress coming? Inquiring minds would like to know how the road to recovery is coming and what your goals and plans are.