xxx

xxx

Stoltz

Like our Facebook page for more stories and news from all over.

J & J

J&J Auto Coudersport
J&J Auto Coudersport

Solomon's Auction & Yard Sale Page

Carter Auctions

Howard's Inc.

Do You Know: You can buy this marquee ad on Solomon's words for the wise for your business or event for only $10. per day! It's just one of the low cost advertising options available. Your ad is viewed 30,000 to 50,000 times every day. Email us for information on other ad locations.

CIMINO AUTO PARTS

Friday, August 4, 2017

Think About It

Open Mouth
by
Pastor B.J. Knefley

Have you ever put your foot in your mouth and wondered, “What was I thinking?” Sometimes I have the ability to do that with little effort. It just comes out.

The other day I was getting gas and I jumped up in the back of my truck to make sure the kayak that I was carrying was secure in its rack. The guy on the other side of the isle asked if I was going to ride up in the kayak. My response, “No but if my wife doesn’t stop talking she’s going to”. I know, I shouldn’t have said it, but it was out before I knew it. To make matters worse he said, “That was a great message you preached yesterday at church”. At that point I really wanted to crawl in a hole. I have no idea who the person was but they certainly knew who I was. When I got back in the truck I told my wife what had happened. She laughed and said; “Now maybe you’ll learn.”

Why do we do things like this? We open our mouths and insert our foot, or in my case sometimes both feet. We walk away shaking our heads wondering, “What was I thinking?” The answer of course is that we weren’t. You’d think that we’d learn, but we don’t. There will be a next time and we know it, we’re just hoping that it stays in our mind and doesn’t ooze out of our mouth.

In the Book of James we read, “All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.” (James 3:7-8). Isn’t that the truth? The same tongue that blesses is the same one that curses. So what’s a person to do? We certainly can’t walk through life with duck tape over our mouth although we all probably know someone that should. No, the real answer is about engaging the brain before engaging the mouth. In other words, THINK FIRST. Seems simple enough but it’s something we need to practice. For me it’s a work in progress, sometimes I do well, and sometimes I don’t. When I don’t, I start over again. It’s the best thing I can do at the moment. Think about it.

4 comments :

Tom Maynard said...

Good message Bernie. Reminds me of one by my dear, much loved, now departed, brother John's sayings to me, "Tom, your mouth over runs your anatomy" God bless us all.

Anonymous said...

Amen! The Book of James is my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I know but lets face it that was a response any husband or wife could or would have givin. A little humor is never bad, so what if your a minister you are human just like all of us, lets face it you were going kayaking your human too. Loved it

Anonymous said...

hell I do it all the time... lmao sometimes I'm really put myself in a pickle! but you know what it is what it is..... You didn't do anything wrong I laughed ... thanks a bunch..