Solomon's Words for the Wise



Southern Tier Polaris, Olean, NY

Solomon's Auction & Yard Sale Page


Friday, December 12, 2008

Services Available For Potter County Veterans

Legal Services, Other Referrals For Veterans

Interim arrangements are in place to deal with local military veterans’ needs on an interim basis, as long as the Potter County Director of Veterans Affairs position is vacant. Commissioner Paul Heimel is serving as the point person, assisted by Lucinda Weakland.

lawyerswarriorsThe county was recently asked to make local veterans aware that free legal services are available for those who have served in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom through the “Lawyers Service Warriors” organization. For assistance with disability, discharge or benefits issues, active-duty service members or veterans can call 202-265-8305, extention 152, or visit the website, www.lawyersservingwarriors.com.

Any veteran calling with general inquiries, requests or concerns has the following options:

  • Governor’s Veterans Outreach and Assistance Center, 1-800-932-0930; or gvoac@comcast.net. The center’s representative for Potter County is Jim Krobath, who holds office hours at CareerLink in Coudersport.
  • Carl Haneline (Carl.Haneline@va.gov), 607-664-4869, a public affairs officer from the Veterans Administration facilities at Bath/Wellsville, N.Y., has agreed to serve as temporary liaison for Potter County veterans’ involvement with VA services.
  • Tioga County Veterans Affairs Director Tim Cleveland and Assistant Lewis Zuchowski (570-723-8141) are available to assist veterans who have questions about federal or state resources or programs.
  • Mike Fowler, veterans employment representative at CareerLink, has also agreed to speak with any veteran who has questions or concerns and to make referrals for issues other than employment services. He is available at (814) 274-9330, Ext. 17, or befowler@state.pa.us.

County staff will continue to monitor the telephone calls and emails that come into the Veterans Affairs Office through the published number and address. Veterans who have questions or concerns are encouraged to use the resources listed above, or to call the Commissioners Office at 274-8290. Potter County Today


Anonymous said...

OMG - Heimel and Commissioner Secretary? Call Mike first!

Anonymous said...

I hope those two individuals do not see that insulting remark. Step up to help and make sure our veterans are taken care of and look what it gets you.
There is such ignorance and negativeness in the "comments" sections of these news items on Solomon Words. If anybody was forming an impression of Potter County based on this forum they would think we were a bunch of petty, ignorant, infighting, smallminded hill billies.

Anonymous said...

Us Veteran's fought for that right. We all don't agree.